Tuesday 22 December 2015

Crying Relief With Onions

I don't like onions.
And the simple reason for that is that they are just about the only food I prefer to eat while in it's raw state.
Once I find a piece of cooked onion (whether glazed, fried, caramelized, in stew or soup), I go completely off the food and it takes a lot to get me to keep whatever portion I have eaten down.
Okay, over time and with the impracticality of finding onionless food in restaurants and other people's houses, I had to find a way to adjust. What came easy to me then, was picking out the onions from the food and piling it on one side of the plate.
Jollof rice, soup, beans porridge, yam pottage, moin moin... wherever the onions hid itself, I would find it and i would pick it out.
So, how do I manage at home?
Ta daaaaa...


I blend my onions in bulk. Buy the lot, peel the lot and blend the lot!

Don't you just want to tuck in? Looks like ice cream, yeah?


Advantages:
1. You only get to cry while peeling and slicing onions, just once. Subsequently, it is a crying relief to cook straightaway without needing a handkerchief.
2. No onion strings.
3. A smoother onion flavour.
4. Always readily available, just pop out of the freezer and into the pot (or dish).
5. You can store the way you need. So for instance you can store in cupfuls for your stocks, soups, stews and heavy duty cooking - read jollof, porridge, etc; or you can store in tablespoonfuls for your one-mouth dishes, omelettes, seasonings, etc...
Like here...


Stores in ice cube bags (ice cube trays work as fine too but I pass because they don't cover and the smells tend to mix up).
So, nice way to store your onions if you ask me. Also helps to work around that pesky situation of onions rotting in the rainy season.

PS: If you are my friend, please always preserve onions this way. That way, you wouldn't have a whole load of picked out onion string to irritate the heck out of you whenever you have me over for a meal.


Please?
Tenkiu'.

No comments:

Post a Comment