Sunday 15 November 2015

Crimson death


It was an ordinary day the day she died, a day like every other.

Maybe if she had known she would die that day, she would have woken up a bit earlier so she could have enough time to drink ijebu garri with sugar and ice cold water. She loved ijebu garri.

She was just 11 years old, it was just 10.30 am by the clock in the parlor, she had just had breakfast of akamu and akara and she knew that if she asked mummy for ijebu garri, she would look up from her laptop where she was always tap, tap, tapping away and say

"No"
"But mummy I am hungry"
"You just ate"
"But I am really, really hungry"
"You have worms, I will deworm you tomorrow"

*sigh*

She wanted to go to heaven so she was going to die like Jesus. She lay down on the bed spread-eagled, then tried to pull up her knees a little bit in the "Jesus" pose.

Very uncomfortable.

How did Jesus manage it? Anyway, he did not have a choice, she did and this was a very uncomfortable pose. She quickly adjusted herself, "let me make myself comfortable before I die here o. Oh wait, I am dying already. Let me just adjust myself and get used to it, mummy said we should be like Jesus so we can go to heaven when we die".

The door creaked open and her mom peered in.

"Uloma, why are you lying down like that?"
"Mummy, I am dying."
"Oh my baby, what is it?"

Mummy ran in, held her close and rocked her back and forth.

She reached down and showed mummy the crotch of her white panties soaked in bright red blood.


And mummy broke into relieved laughter and hugged her closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment