Wednesday 13 March 2013

Sheeple...

My personal motto this week:

Fifie: Curing the world's kookie loonies, one individual at a time.

Background: As I approached the Bank ATM at Omega Centre in Abuja, two things bothered me heavily. One was the very long and disorganized queue that snaked onto the road and the second was the scorching sun, threatening to fry anyone who stood outside the little canopy provided.

Since I was with my daughter, I was desperate to ensure the transaction was concluded as quickly as possible. Tried another bank ATM, it was down and so, had to return to the first one with the long queue. 

"Please who is the last person on this queue", I asked? And there was complete and total silence. You could hear crickets chirp. When the silence was almost becoming unbearable (at this point, others were coming behind me and we needed to ensure some form of orderly line up), a young man turned to another and piped up. "But you are the last now, you are following me".

To my greatest surprise, the man started protesting, "I am not the last, I shall never be the last in anything I do, I am not following anybody, I am the head and not the tail, bla, bla, bla!"

I was slowly getting to simmer and I explained to him quietly that I did not care whatever jargon he had been fed from where he was coming from, this was about a queue. If he was the last person on the queue, this would enable us be orderly and know what to anticipate. And he kept spewing so I decided, some issues are better left for practical classes. No be everybody dey understand theory, but show them practical and it sticks.

So, I quietly positioned my big body and waited for my chance. Soon as the last but one finished, I maneuvered my way into the young man's before and proceeded to carry out my transaction. Trust Nigerians, those who knew the order in which they came after me (I had already stopped and ensured those behind me knew their places), were already jostling for their positions. Then the young man proceeded to complain, "I came before him", "I came before her".

People asked him, "But when Madam asked you now, you said you were not the last and you were not following anybody". Aspersions began to be cast on his sanity, his seriousness, the possibilities of his having criminalistic tendencies, I ignored all and just continued with my transactions. 

I said to myself, he WILL use the word last before he gets any transaction done on that ATM today.

Really, I understand about prophetic declarations, speaking to your situations, etc, but like I told the man while I was trying to find my place on the queue, everybody in Nigeria has an issue or the other they are contending with. Don't bring those issues into the public square and start attempting to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

We are people, not sheeple!

Discern. Apply a discerning mind to whatever you are taught and only apply as neccessary.

Well, I had my own declaration for him, seriously pitied the predicament he faced of having to fight his way through the ATM before the hordes of interested participants in the drama, and so did not deliver the parting shot:

Mathew 19:30 - But many who are first will be the last and the last first.


P.S: Blog under construction. Don't want to interfere too much with Solozo's exceedingly good work. Also want to be able to separate my short stories, from random musings, from my weight loss journey and my foodie page. That way, I hope it makes it easier for anyone browsing through the blog to find that which interests them the most.


1 comment:

  1. Lol! Nigerians are just the best. Everything is a personal issue. I hope he finally learnt that sometimes being LAST can be a good thing!

    ReplyDelete